Random Post

Dec 5, 2020

D&D: Infernal War Machine Tokens Expansion: Warlords of the Avernian Wastelands

My basic tokens for the infernal war machine tokens for Roll20 were a huge hit, both with my party and with some folks I shared them with. I decided to make some extra tokens for the other Avernian warlords you encounter in the game and to make them have unique looks to them. There's something about video games with different-skinned models where a little change can go a long way in evoking a different feeling. Also, a few of them have different upgrades swapped around.

Making these made me think of the files inside a map editor that let you find the models exclusively used in the campaign. Perhaps I'll make an HD expansion someday in the future and give all the models more subtle differences beyond just coloration. That could be fun.

Bitter Breath's Marauders

Bitter Breath rolls with a band of hobgoblins, which have a distinctly reddish skin tone, but since the default infernal war machines have a red theme, I decided to just opt for the other infernal color I could think of, green. Not too much significance here, but they're at least distinct from the normal infernal war machines.




Note that Bitter Breath's Tormentor has an Infernal Screamer instead of a Harpoon Flinger. The book describes it as "a writhing humanoid torso made of melting wax," so I guess that statue will have to do for now.

Feonor

Feonor the necromancer has a distinct Demon Grinder, the Golden Doom, that is covered with Gilded Death Armor. I decided to keep at least the gold theme for the coloration of her other war machine, and made the rest of it dark colored as an homage to her necromancer nature.

The Eighth Remnant

For Princeps Kovik's band of devils, I decided to go with a more shadowy appearance to stick with the "evil" vibe. I imagine blueish machines and whatnot would look cool, but they wouldn't really fit with Avernus's motif.

Bonus: Mahadi's Machines

The Wandering Emporium is carried on the backs of nine infernal war machines. Descent to Avernus calls them "similar to Demon Grinders," except that they're Huge instead of Gargantuan, and they use Flamethrowers and Styx Sprayers instead of Chompers and a Wrecking Ball. It's unlikely that the players will end up engaging in combat with these, but here's a token of one just in case.
In case you're wondering, that brown and black thing on the front is supposed to represent a tank of River Styx water connected to the sprayer.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for making these!! Using them all in my FGU game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey these are awesome! Have you considered selling an asset pack on roll20? Would love to be able to mix and match stations as we upgrade stuff in our campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but unfortunately they weren't interested because they're just made from external assets and they said no one would be interested. Perhaps one day I'll make actual sketches of these machines instead and offer them there.

      Delete
  3. You have no idea how happy I was since I found this for my campaing. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!