Random Post

Jul 9, 2021

Dubbing Differences: The Lion King

I found the following notable changes in the Brazilian Portuguese dub of Disney's The Lion King:
  • “The Circle of Life” is instead “The Circle without End
  • Instead of “pouncing” lessons, Mufasa gives him “attack” lessons.
  • During Zazu’s “morning report,” the only pun he gives is “The baboons are doing monkey business.”
  • Instead of saying “sire,” Zazu always says “Majesty.”
  • “The Pride Lands” are simply renamed “The Lands of the Kingdom.” Pride Rock is called “King’s Rock.”
  • Instead of “Pleeeease?” Simba and Nala say “Let us!”
  • Zazu: “Your parents will vibrate.”
  • Nala: “Gotcha!” instead of “Pinned ya!”
  • Ed’s voice is not dubbed.
  • Simba: “But Zazu, you said they were nothing but dirty, barbaric butchers.”
  • Instead of “Ix-nay on the upid-stay,” Zazu says “Into a closed mouth enters no fly.” And Banzai says, “Hey, don’t call me a fly!
  • Banzai: “We’d like to have a lion on the table!”
  • Shenzi: “Oh wait, I got one, I got one! I’ll have a lion sandwich!” Those two aren’t puns, so the hyenas seem to be portrayed as just being more evil or giggly.
  • The “birdie boiler” is simply called a “pan.” As in, a frying pan.
  • Simba: “I just wanted to be valiant like you.”
  • The song “Be Prepared” has all of its numerous metaphors removed and replaced with simpler terms.
  • Scar says “Simba, it’s a surprise of death,” but I’m not sure if that translates to the same idiomatic meaning.
  • Instead of “There’s no way I’m going in there,” Shenzi says “I have no idea where he went.”
  • Timon: “I’m baked. Let’s find some shade.”
  • Simba tells Timon and Pumbaa he doesn’t know where he’s going, instead of saying “Nowhere.”
  • Instead of Timon and Pumbaa saying “Boy, he looks blue.” “I’d say brownish-gold,” they say “Boy, he looks beat.” “Who beat him up?
  • Timon: “Ah, you’re a reject! That’s great, so are we!”
  • “You got to put your behind in your past” vs. “You gotta put your past behind you” actually translates really well. The word for behind (as in, rear-end) is trazeiro, and Pumbaa confuses it with the word for behind (as in, back in the past), atrás.
  • Timon: “No, no, no, bungler. Stop thinking before you get a headache.”
  • For some odd reason, sometimes they say “Hatuna matata.”
  • Timon: “Take Pumbaa, for example. Why, when he was a cub…”
  • There was no effort to make the “Not in front of the kids!” part insinuate a rhyme like English does with the word “farted.” He says “I felt so sad / Every time that I—” but there’s no way a verb would have rhymed with the Portuguese word for “sad.”
  • Instead of saying “Hippo?” Simba says “Rabbit?” This is clearly to match his lipsyncing, since the Portuguese word is “coelho.”
  • The word for “grub” doesn’t also mean “food” in Portuguese, so Timon just says “Food. What’s it look like?” when he holds up a grub.
  • At the end of the Hakuna Matata song, Timon, Pumbaa, and Simba just scat a bunch instead of singing the actual words “Hakuna Matata” a few more times.
  • Banzai: “Yeah! It’s dinner time, and we don’t smell even a trace of any food.”
  • Zazu: “Oh, you wouldn’t like me. I’d be so tough and bitter.”
  • Banzai says “Que brasa” instead of “Que pasa,” which more or less means “Holy mackerel!” I feel like it would’ve been find to just keep it as “Que passa.”
  • In English, Simba says “Pretty dumb, huh?” but in Portuguese he says “Nonsense, right?”
  • Pumbaa says “I pull myself away from your feet,” and Timon corrects him, “It’s drag, not pull away.” The gravel/grovel joke gets kind of muddled.
  • Simba says “You’re starting to sound like my father.” In English, Nala retorts with “Good. At least one of us does,” but in Portuguese she says “Good. It’s good to remember him.” A completely innocent comment, yet Simba gets offended.
  • Instead of “I can’t cut it out. It’ll grow right back!” Rafiki just says “I can’t stop. It’ll return!” which makes less sense.
  • Timon: “You can count on us!” instead of “We’re with you till the end!”
  • Simba: “No. Simba.” instead of “No. It’s me.”
  • Scar: “Criminal!” instead of “Murderer!” But later, Simba says “I’m not a murderer!” so maybe it was done for lip syncing.
  • Scar: “Please. Have piety. I implore you.” The Portuguese word for mercy is “misericórdia,” which would’ve been much too long to replace in that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!