Random Post

Aug 13, 2020

Relic Short Story: "Pain-Ball"

I remember writing this story around sixth grade, but I can't for the life of me remember why I wrote it or how I got the subject material. I was never into pinball, though I guess I was into books where the main kid protagonist got sucked into a video game.
It's funny that I made the main character a fictionalized version of myself, complete with my actual brother's name, but my best friend's name is Yoshi Grendel? Really? At least I got to hand it to my sixth-grade self: the similes are pretty silly, but well written. And I for one wish I had kept going with the story.

"Pain-Ball"

"Ohhh, not again!" I cried as my pinball rolled between the flippers. I sighed and put in another quarter. I stink at pinball. It's like the stupid ball keeps slipping on purpose!

I pulled the knob way, way back and released. The pinball shot up like my brother when Mom shouts "REDGE BALLARD! How many times have I told you, 'Don't feed betsy milkshakes!'?! Now there's barf all over the—" But I won't get into that. Betsy's our cow. Apparently, she doesn't like milk.

The pinball hit the bumpers agains and again, raising my score. 1... 5... 6... The numbers increased like my brussels sprouts did when I ate too much and upchuck—Well, heh heh... Anyway, my score went up a few more points and I pounded on the flipper buttons. The flippers shot up and down like a rabid see-saw. My eyes were wide with anxiety as the pinball lights flashed.

Suddenly, I yelped as an electronic voice screamed "GREAT JOB! YOU JUST WON ALL THE QUARTERS IN THIS MACHINE! Thanks for playing Pinbop."

"Pinbop"?? My machine was called "The Pain-Ball"!

"Austin! Austin! I won! Look! I wuh-huh-hun!" a voice bellowed behind me.

"Yoshi? You won! I mean, of course you won... I know," I stuttered.

"Hey, dude, why are you shaking so hard?"

"Sh-sh-sh-sh-sha-king? W-w-what-whatever d-do y-y-y-y-you-you mean, Y-Yoshi?" I was so embarrassed of my shock. Yoshi Grendel's my best friend. He likes almost everything I like.

Meanwhile, my pinball, which looked like a green eyeball, rolled into the chute. "GAME OVER," a voice shouted. I hate those words, yet I hear them every day. I watched as Yoshi scooped about 10 pounds of quarters into his shirt.

"Hey—" he heaved. "Little... help... Aust?"

I frowned. I hate it when he does that. It always reminds me of the time our class went to Washington D.C. and Yoshi mooned the president. The guards were strangling him and he choked, "Little... help... Aust?" Luckily, it was in second grade and the president said "He didn't know better," and left.

This time it was because of weight, I thought. My frown evolved into an evil grin and I slid over the lake of quarters and dozed a shirtful of money. The chute was still pouring out money and some kids were staring.

After my pants, shirt, shoes, socks, underwear, cap, and mouth were full of quarters, I went to the treat counter and let it all out. The cashier's eyes literally popped out of her head. They landed on the pile of silver and I screamed. The eyeballs were green!

Suddenly, everything around me clotted into an incline and huge bumpers appeared above my head. My eyes almost popped out. "I........... I'm in a... a pinball machine?" I said aloud.

Suddenly, a HUUGE face appeared above me. "Ohhh, boooyy, III LLOOOVE Paaaainn-Baaaallll," he roared, and I heard a clinking sound. Then, an eyeball flew above me and hit my head.

"Owww!" I moaned. That hurt! Then the incline beneath me shifted and I found myself skidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!