Random Post

Nov 19, 2019

The Scourge of Lordaeron Adventure, Chapter 1

I've long wanted to play a D&D campaign that takes place in the world of Azeroth. The Warcraft Roleplaying Game was what got me into 3rd edition D&D in the first place, and my first time ever playing D&D 5th edition was running an adventure that took place in Azeroth. In my spare time, I've compiled a starter adventure taken directly from Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

I'm not sure how sustainable and not-railroady this adventure could be in the entire campaign, since the campaign itself revolves around Arthas and his choices, and not his soldiers' (and therefore the adventurers), but I think it could still be a fun way to introduce a D&D group into Azeroth, possibly for an alternate reality where they could influence the story of the Burning Legion's arrival in different ways.

At any rate, I've saved a PDF of the first adventure, The Defense of Strahnbrad, and it's available for you to download. Feedback is appreciated! I myself haven't run the adventure, and I know it's kind of stiff, but I was still pretty impressed at how easy it was to translate that first level to a D&D adventure. Maybe that's mainly because it doesn't involve any base building or resource management, but I guess if I finish the campaign with other adventures we'll see about that.

>> The Scourge of Lordaeron, Chapter 1


4 comments:

  1. I think 20th level is too high for Uther, especially considering Arthas fights and kills him not too much later. 20th level should be reserved for the most powerful NPC's like Kil'jaeden and Cenarius, etc. Also I think its generally poor form to have players encounter characters of such high level so early on, but thats just me.

    That being said, I think this module is pretty cool! I've made something similar for the Warcraft II human campaign (although I took quite a few creative liberties).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. He is the most powerful paladin ever known, but mechanically, it doesn't work well with the situation. It's also probably just bad form to put any NPCs with player levels in the game, since that's not really how 5e works. Maybe I'll just make a statblock for Arthas and call Uther a champion or something.

      Delete
  2. You should make a custom statblock for every named major character who is likely to become involved in combat in the module. I think Arthas and Mathog are the only ones who really need it for this chapter, having minor named characters like Benedict and Menag represented by generic NPC's is fine.

    Not sure about 5e, but in 3.5 I like to stat most characters who are going to be involved in combat as a "monster" rather than an "NPC". That is, don't worry abaout giving them class levels and feats and such, just give them whatever stats and abilites you think are reasonable for the character in question. A lot of the characters in Warcraft don't fit snugly into a D&D character class, so its better to just build them from the ground up.

    It might be better to build just Arthas as a proper character though, since he is present throughout the entire campaign and will presumably be increasing in power as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was meant to be a reply to your comment to my post above ^^^

      Delete

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!