Random Post

Mar 31, 2019

Poem: Dragon Eggs

So here's the story about this poem that I dug up this past weekend at my parents' house: In fifth grade there was a city poetry contest put on by the chamber of commerce or something... one of the chambers. Anyway, it covered all the school districts and age groups in Madison county. I decided to enter this poem, and I ended up winning an honorable mention and got to recite it in front of a lot people at a city presentation at the Rexburg Tabernacle. It's nonsensical and really kind of cheesy and pretentious in a childlike, innocent way, but I do have to admire my rhyming meter and syllabification. I've always had an amazing ear for making poetry sound perfectly organized. It goes with my editor nature, of course, but it's kind of interesting that I had that gift even twenty years ago just leaving elementary school.

I have no idea what a two-decker egg is or what an egg does when it's "crooking," but my rhymes were on point, at least—thinking about the odd topic I chose for this poem, I'd bet anything the first line just popped into my head one day and I just kept repeating it to myself till it was polished, long beyond the point of having any sense to it anymore. It's also noteworthy that the poem can be sung to a pirate song on an old Felix the Cat cartoon called "The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg." As much as I was tempted to fix the grammar and punctuation, I decided to just preserve it.


Dragon Eggs
Oh, the eggs in my wagon are those of a Dragon,
they're different. Yes, it is true.
For there's green ones and black ones and small, slightly cracked ones,
there's even some shades of bright blue.
There're eggs with spots and eggs with dots and eggs with red-and-white checkers.
Some eggs are weird-looking like ones that are crooking,
and bumpy and, strangely, two-decker!
So, if you see me pulling eggs and you see
that the eggs in the cart are real funny,
Then don't forget that the eggs that sit
in my wagon are worth lots of money.
The eggs in my wagon are those of a Dragon,
they're wonderful...
Yes, it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!