Random Post

Feb 15, 2014

Beat the Sweet Challenge complete!

Well, I spent the last month not eating any sugar at all (minus one day I made as an exception). I kept a daily log of my feelings about the fast in general, and here they are:
-----
DAY 1: Had a few impulses to eat dessert throughout the day, reminded me of fasting.
DAY 2: A few more impulses. The hardest time is breakfast and after meals, but it’s really not too horrible yet.
DAY 3: Refused really tasty-looking pastries at work today. I felt good about it.
DAY 4: The wife got me jerky, which I thought would be a good snack during this month, but surprise! it has 13g of sugar per serving. (:( Had a little, but I’m gonna stop.
DAY 5: Went to a restaurant, after the salty meal I really wanted something for dessert. The urge passed, though, just like it always has this week.
DAY 6: Had a sugar-free fruit crumble dessert and it was delicious. I think I’m already getting used to not having sweets, so even non-sweet foods taste better now!
DAY 7: Today was pretty easy. I didn’t really crave anything sweet all day.
DAY 8: Really crave something sweet in the mornings now. Bacon and eggs are getting old. Thank heavens for fruit (especially bananas).
DAY 9: The Mrs. made sweet-’n’-sour chicken, but I let it slide. I did feel guilty how delicious it was though.
DAY 10: Mornings are getting excruciating, but it’s mostly just due to lack of variety.
DAY 11: I’m getting bored with this. I don’t really feel any different, and I feel like I’m eating too much salt as compensation.
DAY 12: Refused a brownie and ice cream today and had an orange instead. Felt really good about it. I think I’ll definitely cut down on sugar in general after this month.
DAY 13: Replaced cookies with tangerines! I’m really grateful for oranges, tangerines, and bananas. Without fruit I don’t think I could have survived.
DAY 14: I loathe breakfasts now. Had to choke down oatmeal with just fruit and it was abysmal.
DAY 15: I’m definitely not getting any more energy. Woke up late today, felt exhausted all day… wondering what the point of this fast is anymore.
DAY 16: Oh my heck I need something sweet. Anything. Brownies, pie, cake, candy bars… 
DAY 17: Whatever.
DAY 18: Really want dessert after lunch and dinner. And I really miss juice.
DAY 19: Came this close to caving in to Krispy Kreme donuts. But I’m still going strong.
DAY 20: Refused brownie and cherry cheesecake. The satisfaction is pretty much gone and I’m just going to fulfill the goal now.
DAY 20: Really getting sick of fruit.
DAY 21: I don’t really look forward to eating anything now, except for dinner. And afterwards there’s no dessert, so… yeah.
DAY 22: I don’t have anything else left to say about this wretched fast.
DAY 23: This is depressing. Nothing has really come of this except for sadness. I’m never doing this again.
DAY 24:Went to a buffet and didn’t touch any dessert. It wasn’t even that hard. And I sucked on a mint afterwards and spat it out after a minute or so.
DAY 25: Made an exception because the wife and I won’t have another chance to enjoy Valentine’s Day dessert… had one (1) glass of sparkling cider, two (2) small root beer floats, and a (1) cream puff. The floats were the most delicious thing I’ve ever tasted. Continuing tomorrow.
DAY 26: Okay, I can do this. Four more days.
DAY 27: Had a Hawaiian roll on accident, but I don’t care about particulars anymore. To heck with the “3g or less” rule. It’s clear my body didn’t react any differently. I’m just avoiding desserts till the end of the week.
DAY 28: Saw a Twix commercial that made me salivate. Twix is my favorite candy bar. Had to avoid cake and cookies at a birthday party, but it’s close enough now that I took it home. It’s waiting in the fridge as I type.
DAY 29: One last temptation for one last day—ice cream replaced by berries and cream. I did it!
-----
Overall, to be honest, I was actually not very impressed. I didn't feel significantly different, I didn't have any more energy or lose weight... it just felt like I was depriving myself of well-deserved treats for a month. But I'm not the type of person who has a huge sweet tooth anyway. I probably could physically not be able to fast from salt for a month, for example. But it was a good experience, teaching me how on most occasions we truly don't need to eat sugar. I'll probably cut down in general and eat more fruit from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!