Random Post

Nov 1, 2018

Phone Phast complete!

I thought I'd check in now that another project month is over. I feel like I choose to do project months at the most inopportune times... This month I started my internship for my coding certification and had a lot of different activities come up as my wife went on a trip and stuff. So it was definitely hard and I wasn't perfect, but I did learn quite a bit and had some experiences I'd like to relate.

Every time I go to the bathroom (not just #2, but at the urinal as well), I used to pull out my phone to read a D&D PDF on iBooks, or check Facebook, or answer Quora questions or whatever. I think (knock on wood) I managed to break this habit. I realized that it's embarrassing and pointless to stand there at a urinal for like 5 minutes. If I want to take a break, I'll take it officially, not just when I pee.

One day, I went home while my car was in the shop, so I didn't have my house key, and my wife had locked the door. My landlady wasn't home, and since I hadn't brought a book to read or my laptop, I decided to just lay out my jacket on the grass and watch the clouds. I had a great experience! The clouds were beautiful, the blue sky was stark against the gorgeous autumn colors (my favorite season), and I had a very relaxing time just listening to distant cars, birds, and wind blowing. I think I need more moments like this—I wonder if I should start doing that once a month or something.

I felt sort of like I cheated when I would watch Netflix on my computer rather than on my smartphone or tablet, but it did teach me how often I depend on these stupid devices. And it was kind of fun to have to look up recipes and stuff on my laptop instead of just pulling out my Google app on my phone. I'm definitely going to move my Google Chrome app to a side view on my phone instead of the toolbar at the bottom, so I can take life a bit slower and waste less time.

I did cheat outright when I listened to Critical Role in the car, and I regret it. I should have just listened to the radio more just for the month's duration, but honestly, I had some hard days this month, and since my entire D&D group's been gone for a long time, I needed my roleplaying fix. I also didn't watch any DVDs except for most of Over the Garden Wall and... oh, you know what? I did have a good experience with a DVD. One night I felt like exercising, so I put on my capoeira pants and just sort of swung imaginary swords around while watching Look Around You. It was really fun! I could've spent that evening playing computer, but I had a fun time watching a good old fashioned television set and DVD player. That I want to do more often as well.

Overall, I definitely approve of this project. I think I'll try it again in the future when I don't have essentially two jobs that I'm working. This entire year has been so, so hard, and I cheated a few times just because I thought I was going to snap. But it broke a few bad habits and did what my yearly project month should do: it opened my eyes.

Happy Day of the Dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!