Random Post

Feb 17, 2021

Recreating the Voice Lines from Warcraft II

I was listening to the album Legend of the Boar Knight by Careless Juja over the past week or two (really awesome and recommended, by the way—the type of thing I'd love to make myself some day), and in an intermission track in the middle, the narrator imitated the voices from Warcraft 2, and it made me want to try my hand at it.



It was a lot of fun to try and capture the essence of each voice line through intonation, voice style, and special effects using Audacity. I definitely don't have a great range, so the deep voices and the high voices were definitely my weakest ones, but I think I nailed the ogres (including Dentarg) perfectly, if I do say so myself.

As usual when recreating things, I grew to appreciate these lines so much more while looking extra closely at them. Some (like Grom Hellscream and the Death Knights) were just too well done to succeed at doing, but I did my best. There were some shortcuts the developers took; for example, for the goblin sappers, one line was recorded, and then two more tracks were overlayed on it: one that was slightly higher-pitched and one that was slightly lower-pitched.

Overall, a super fun project, and if I get enough time (or if enough people want it), I could release a compressed folder of all the sound effects to write over those in Warcraft 2, so you could have a full game voiced by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!