Random Post

Oct 26, 2023

Dubbing Differences: The Jungle Book

I found the following notable changes in the Brazilian Portuguese dub of Disney's The Jungle Book:

  • The movie’s title is “Mowgli the Wolf Boy.”

  • Instead of saying “Everything will look better in the morning,” Bagheera says “Tomorrow is a new day.

  • Instead of saying that the tree was too big around to climb, Mowgli just says it’s too high.

  • There are no S’s in the Brazilian word for “go to sleep,” so after singing Mowgli to sleep, Kaa just hisses a few times to himself.

  • Kaa complains about his “sinusitis” rather than his sinus in general.

  • The little elephant says they’re doing “exercises” instead of drills.

  • Instead of saying “My feet are killing me,” Winifred the elephant says “My feet can’t take anymore.”

  • Bagheera mutters that Mowgli is a “crazy kid” instead of a “foolish man cub.”

  • Instead of saying “Pitiful” when Mowgli is punching him, Baloo says “I can’t even feel it.

  • Baloo: “You know something? You’re cool, kid.”

  • Baloo’s nickname for Mowgli is Pimpolho, which basically means “youngster.”

  • The pun in Bear/Bare Necessities is understandably lost.

  • Instead of saying “Of all the silly gibberish,” Bagheera mutters “This sounds like a madman’s verse.”

  • Baloo: “If you work like that bee, uh uh. You’ll get hurt.”

  • The monkeys say “You win!” instead of “We give up!”

  • Instead of saying “Word has reached my royal ear…,” King Louie says “Have a seat. Then I’ll tell you.” This makes his next statement of “that you want to stay in the jungle” after he gives Mowgli a banana into a question.

  • The “I Wanna Be Like You” song is weird. The focus is taken off of him wanting to be like Mowgli and instead he just sings about how he wants to sing and dance and be awesome.

  • Instead of saying “You don’t look like a basket of fruit yourself,” Baloo says “You don’t look like you could win any beauty contest.”

  • Mowgli says “I thought we were friends!” instead of “partners.”

  • Random exclamations and vocal expressions are left undubbed, which makes for a few awkward moments when you can tell it’s not the same voice actor who gasps or grunts right after speaking.

  • Instead of saying “I’m not like those fair-weather friends of yours,” Kaa says “I’m not like those friends of yours, those bear friends.”

  • In English, Kaa says “Search me,” and then covers his mouth as Shere Khan says “That’s an excellent idea.” In Portuguese, though, Kaa just says “I don’t know” and Shere Khan responds with “I think you must know.” It makes him covering his mouth not really fit with the dialog.

  • Instead of saying “Cross my heart and hope to die,” Kaa says “I swear by everything that is sacred.”

  • Instead of saying “He gives me the sssshivers,” Kaa says “That tiger is sssshameless.” It gave him a chance to hiss a Portuguese phrase with an S in it. (ssssem vergonha)

  • The vultures say “What’s the game plan?” instead of “What we gonna do?”

  • This isn’t a difference, but I gotta commend the singers on the “We’re Your Friends” song. They are a fantastic barbershop quartet, and Shere Khan’s voice actor does a good deep note at the end too.

  • The vulture on the bottom of the stack of the other ones doesn’t stutter at the end of the song.

  • Instead of saying “You have spirit for one so small,” Shere Khan says “You are small but courageous.

  • The vultures comment that Shere Khan went off like a rocket instead of a comet.

  • Baloo says “A speech for me?” instead of “He’s crackin' me up.”

  • Bagheera calls Baloo an impostor instead of a four-flusher.

  • To fit the meter of the song, the village girl specifically talks about the pot and filling it with water, instead of just singing about “fetching” it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!