Random Post

Dec 13, 2019

Warcraft Techno (The German Mixes)



I like techno a lot, but I really liked it back in 2007 when I first started college. Somewhere around that time, I found this song by "Mr. Tom & Got Show," whom I can't find much information about anywhere online. Since I've been playing Warcraft 2 lately, I was reminded of this song and now it's finally published for public consumption!

At the time, I thought that it was independently created and voiced to mimic the voice lines on Warcraft 2 in German (There's a line from the ogre, "Er wars! Nein, er wars," that sounds like "You da boss" from the troll), but now that it's 12 years later and I found a very thorough translator to take a listen to it (thanks a lot YouTuber Watthe), it turns out that all the lines are taken straight from the German dub of the game, and that there are some interesting facts about them. Below are some of my favorites.
  1. The German version says "manchmal kann man noch das Heulen ihrer gequälten Seelen mit den Windpfeifen hören," which in English is simply "the howling of their tortured souls fill the air," but this literally translates to "one can hear the howling of their tortured souls through windpipes."
  2. The German line "Solltest du verlieren, ist das dein Ende. Ahh ha ha ha haa haa!" is the last line of the final orc campaign mission in Beyond the Dark Portal. The laugh was added in by the German voice actor and is not in the English version, which says "Fail or be slaughtered" instead of "Should you fail, that is your end."
  3. Some of the units have different lines in German; for example, the knight says "So geht das nicht weiter," which means "You can't keep doing this / This has to stop." And one of the orc units says "You look like a human!" These are all "annoyed" quotes when you click on a unit multiple times.
  4. Some lines are erroneously literally transcribed into German. The knight says "Ich brauche Order," which means "I need orders," but the German word for "orders" should be "Befehle."
  5. In English, the briefing says "Destroy the renegade clans and bring back the head of Gul'dan," but the German version says "bestrafe Gul'dan," which means "punish Gul'dan."

2 comments:

  1. Hello I found no other way to contact you but this..
    Over 10 mins trying to find a way to reach out to you - Directly
    HAve you played wc3's dwarven campaign? I think its the best in therms of challange and storywise. The secrets are amazing..
    Why you don't make videos about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. Is it a custom campaign? Because I'm not interested in looking at "fan fiction" secrets. What's it called though? It could be fun to try out.

      Delete

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!